Friday, December 7, 2007


Below is an update from my Mom. Her internet has been on and off, so it has been awhile since she's been able to update. Please feel free to pass this along to friends and family to keep them in the loop. Our apologies for not responding to everyone's individual phone calls and emails - it's so much easier to just do these big updates to everyone. But we really do appreciate the support.

Thank you. May you find peace, comfort and joy during this holiday season.



I am sorry that I have not written before this, but I have found Home Hospice the most overwhelming and demanding venture in my life. Hospice is finally realizing that Bob is not ready to leave us and is bringing the needed supplies and additional aides. Because they were told that he wouldn't live more than two or three days, I was given minimum supplies, which added to the stress.

Bob is holding up well; I see tiny improvements every day. He whispers a lot and makes sense about eighty percent of the time. He is also talking out loud a little. It is so good to hear his voice again! He is moving his legs and arms more every day. We are doing gentle physical therapy with him every day and he is responding with some resistance, which is great! He has had two massages and loves them, sleeps like a baby afterward. He has begun to swallow more and now wants to suck the water out of the mouth cleaning sponges, so after we clean the mouth, we let him suck a little. Since he is on constant oxygen, his mouth is dry. I am sure the cold water tastes good!

Bob loves company; he recognizes everyone and is able to stay awake for short periods. Because the mornings are so busy, we are limiting visiting to the afternoons. From 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm are good visiting times. Every day except Tuesdays---he has a massage on Tuesdays at 1:00 and sleeps the entire afternoon after that. Please also try to keep phone calls during the same time frame. This helps let the phone be available for health care workers to call in.

Thank you to everyone for the cards, food, prayers, emails, phone calls, visits, errands and general help. It is greatly appreciated. My refrigerator is full - so unless you want to buy me a new fridge (just kidding!) - please keep food limited to Tuesdays and Fridays. If anyone wants to volunteer to be my "food coordinator" - that would take some stress off of my plate and I'll just communicate through that one person. Please let Noelle know through email and she will confirm with you.

A special thank you to Carol Nohavec. She has done an incredible job coordinating volunteers from the church to help with different things. I'm surprised she hasn't sprouted wings by now.

Once again, thank you and please keep praying for his recovery.


No comments: